When should my baby start crawling?

Babies often start to crawl between 8-10 months, but some start as early as 6-7 months, and others skip crawling altogether. Often it starts with army crawling (on average around 7-9 months) and progresses to hands and knees (on average between 9-11 months). There are some questions you can ask yourself that will help you assess your baby's physical developmental milestones:

  • Is my baby sitting up independently?
  • Can my baby roll from their stomach to their back and vice versa?
  • Can my baby sit up without support for a few minutes?
  • Can my baby get in and out of sitting by themselves?
  • Does my baby tolerate tummy time well and play in a variety of positions?

    These developmental milestones will let you know that your baby is processing signals from their surroundings and building up their muscles.

    If and when your baby begins to crawl, there are two types of crawling:

    • Army Crawl: where baby’s stomach remains on the floor and they use their arms to pull themselves forward (or push themselves back)
    • Creeping: baby pushes up to hands and knees with belly off the floor. Before any forward movement is made, you will often see the baby in that position rocking back and forth. This allows them to build stability before moving to the mobility phase.

      Some babies may choose atypical patterns of crawling including:

      • Bottom scooting
      • Asymmetrical crawling with one leg up
      • Bunny hopping moving both hands and both legs together instead of one at a time
      • Bear crawl on hands and feet

        If you notice asymmetrical or atypical crawling, you should talk with your pediatrician and discuss a physical therapy referral. Identifying the root cause of these patterns can help them from carrying forward to higher level motor skills. 


        This article has been reviewed by our team of experts.

        Disclaimer: The contents of this article does not constitute medical advice. If you have concerns about any health or medical condition, diagnosis, or treatment you should consult with your pediatrician or a licensed healthcare provider.